Thursday 11 February 2010

Still too hot!

Good evening guys!

Haven't really done much since my last post but I will bore you with my ramblings anyway. Went to my first Aussie barbie last night with one of my flatmates from Taiwan, hosted by the student association here at UNSW. Having eaten very little again that day, I was starving and looking forward to a nice chicken burger - boy was I disappointed! All they had left were snags (sausages) so I went hungry again last night, eating only a banana for my dinner when I got in! Met some cool people whilst I was there though; 2 Americans that were just stopping in Sydney whilst on their way to NZ - they obviously loved my accent but took the mick for the majority of the evening. Also met a German PhD student who is in Sydney for 6 weeks only and a guy from Singapore who lives in my tower - he was really funny and considers himself, and I quote, "a part time student, full-time drinker". Hopefully I will see him again as he was bare hilare.
Woke up at 4.30 this morning - this jet-lag malarkey is really doing my head in. Hopefully I will get a better nights sleep tonight, if not, Graham will get grumpy! It was another hot day though, probably around 30C. Even walking to the bus stop made me sweat - yummy. Went to the local shopping centre today - getting there was a bit of an adventure. I went with Ling (my Taiwanese flatmate) - we got on the bus and went on our way. At the first stop, Ling got off the bus, telling me that we were on the wrong bus as we were going the wrong way. Turns out he thought we were going to the city centre, not the shopping centre. The bus pulled away before he realised this, so we wasted a bus ticket ($3) going literally 200m or so! We got there eventually anyway and spent a few hours buying household crap - pots, pans, crockery etc, all the essentials. Having bought so much stuff, we had to get a taxi back. The taxi driver was some crazy old man - he was chewing his gum like a maniac - oh and the petrol light was flashing so I was worried we were going to break down. Luckily we did not. Have done bugger all for the rest of the day, apart from trying not to nap so I get a good nights sleep. I did have my first proper cooked meal though - vegetable pasta, what a surprise eh?

Hopefully will go to the city proper tomorrow!

The following are two words that have already confused me:
  • Capsicum - turns out this is a pepper, as in bell pepper!

  • Doona - this is a duvet - the receptionist at the Village (where I bought it from so I could sleep) took much pleasure in mocking me for calling it a duvet, putting on her best English accent in the process!
Few other things which are annoying me:
  • the bugs - I am covered in bites already. I look just like you did Sam in Kos - OK, maybe not that extreme but I have a good 7 bites on my that are itching like crazy. Fortunately I haven't seen any massive spiders yet though.
  • my hair - the heat is not good for my hair. It is as frizzy as hell (even if I wear my hat to attempt to flatten it). I remind myself of Monica from Friends when they go to that conference thing with Ross - perhaps I should thing about getting braids also??? Jokes!
  • Cadburys - having seen lots of Cadburys in the supermarkets, I thought I would buy some to see how different it tastes. It is not good! I means it's edible but no where near as nice as English Cadburys

That is the end of my ramblings.

Miss you all! x

Piccies: 1) The first grey cloud I have seen in Oz. You can't really see in the picture, but this evening it has come over pretty grey - thunderstorms forecasted for tomorrow. Hopefully that will make the humidity more bearable. 2) My Bedroom. 3) My bedroom part 2. Sorry for shitty pictures, it was quite hard to take them in this light. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment