Wednesday 17 February 2010

Coogee to Bondi to Centennial Park to home

Hey guys,

Well today I went for a long walk; google maps tells me it was over 20km! As the weather was pretty good (sunny with some cloud)and temperatures were only 26C, I thought it would be the perfect day to go and explore the beaches.

My expedition started out with a 30 minute walk to the local beach, Coogee - it's pretty small but is really nice and being so close, I can't complain. From here, I walked north on the coastal walk, all the way to Bondi Beach (which I am sure you have all heard of), zig-zagging in between other coves and beaches. The walk was lovely, and not too laborious - just gentle hills, but quite a few steps up and down. Got some fantastic views though and got to experience Bondi, which everybody says is a must-do when in Sydney. Bondi was pretty nice, very very busy though, especially in comparison to Coogee. I hate to think about what it's like on public holidays. There were lots of people surfing though...one day I will give that a go! The following are some pictures from the walk from Coogee to Bondi.

This is a lizard - it scared the shit out of me!! It was sitting in the middle of the path as I walked around the corner - I'm not going to lie, I may have screamed a little bit.

Some rocky outcrop bit near Coogee



Coogee Beach - my local beach - 30 minutes away

On the coastal walk, right near Bondi!





Me in the ocean at Bondi beach!

The waves at Bondi Beach

Bondi Beach


From Bondi, I walked west towards Centennial Park - As the name implies, this is a park. It is absolutely massive though, and has lakes and ponds and lots of birds around. There were lots of people doing exercise (jogging, cycling, horse riding, skating) so I guess this is a local exercise hot spot. The park was really really nice though, and I'm sure I will go back to explore more here (at the time I was very tired and hot so didn't explore too much). The following pictures are just a few from the Park - I got a bit carried away with the birds...

Greater Sulphur Cockatoo

Another Greater Sulphur Cockatoo

Some other Cockatoo

A lake at Centennial Park

Another lack at Centennial Park - complete with Swans (?) and Sacred Ibis


The trip took me over 5 hours in total but it was definitely worth it - I ache a little bit now but hopefully that will subside during the night. Saying that, I bet I won't be able to move tomorrow! Hopefully being outside for so long also helped my tan...

Love to you all xx

2 comments:

  1. "I'm not going to lie, I may have screamed a little bit."

    That made me "lol" a little bit! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. Watch out for those tiger snakes graham!! Dangerous ones, them. x

    ReplyDelete