Sunday 14 February 2010

The rain goes on...

Ay up!

So my first weekend in Sydney has just passed (well its currently passing)so I thought I would update you on what I have been doing these past two days.

Luckily the weather has been much more comfortable; the temperature has probably reached 25C max, so much much cooler than the highs of 38 on Friday. However, in addition to being much cooler, it has also been much wetter. Since the thunderstorms on Friday night, it has rained on and off all weekend and is even raining as I type. It reminds of being at home...


Well yesterday I met up with a Canadian guy who I was speaking to before I arrived here in Sydney, who is also staying in the UNSW Village with me but in a different tower. We planned on walking from Coogee beach (30 mins walk away) to Bondi beach and then into town, a pretty long walk. We were almost at Coogee when he got a call from his Canadian friend who has been living in Sydney for the past 3 months, asking if he wanted to go and watch the opening ceremony of the winter Olympics; it is being held in Canada after all. So we scrapped our plans, hoppped on a bus, and headed downtown. This was my first experience of Sydney proper, the central area, and it is much bigger than I thought it was! We met his friends, and then went onto the bar - the opening ceremony was pretty damn boring but it was made more entertaining by the constant bickering between the Canadians and American that I was with! Following this, we went to Circular Quay - the home of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. We enjoyed a nice drink at the Opera Bar, enjoying the nice views. I took some photos for you all to see - as I said, the weather was pretty crappy but I'm sure I will have plenty of opportunity to take some nicer pictures in the sun.

Today I planned on checking out Coogee, but because of the rain I haven't. I have just been doing boring household stuff; food shopping, washing etc etc! What an exciting life I live. The rest of the day will be spent doing some reading preparing for my meeting with my supervisor tomorrow - I don't want him to think I am retard even if that may be the case!

Hopefully the rain will stop tomorrow so I can get out an explore some more (assuming that I don't have to start work right away!)

Laters xx








Pics: 1) My attempt at taking a picture of the bats that roost right outside my window. 2) Sydney Opera House from the Opera Bar. 3) Zoomed in on the people climbing up Harbour Bridge - Sam, Claire and Kerry, this is what we will be doing when you come to Sydney! 4) Harbour Bridge from Circular Quay. 5) More Harbour Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment