Wednesday 10 February 2010

An Official Sydneysider!?

G'day! Greetings from Sydney! Just thought I would give a quick post about my travels and first few days here in Oz.

First of all, the journey! I have to say, my flight to Singapore was the most turbulent journey of my life; we seemed to be constantly wobbling everywhere. That being said, those 12 hours weren't as bad as the following 8...Obviously, as my luck would have it, I was lumbered sitting next to somebody about twice as big as me. This meant I spent the entire journey squashed to the edge of my seat as this guy sprawled into my half of the seat! This meant I had no access to my arm rest, which meant that I couldn't turn my light on or call the air hostess, even if I wanted too! I was not amused. Anyway, I did eventually arrive in Sydney on Tuesday morning.

I was met my a wave of heat as soon as I stepped out the airport the sweat literally started to drip off me. I must have looked very attractive. I partially blame carrying all my baggage though, it was very heavy after all (and consequently, my shoulder aches today!).

I arrived at my accommodation for the next 6 months - see pictures. It's not too shabby! The apartment is pretty big, although the kitchen is pretty small - and strangely enough, it doesn't have an oven, just one of those crappy microwaves that doubles up as an oven. The first item on the agenda was a shower - after 24 hours cooped up in the plane, it was much needed. The rest of the day I spent wandering around the UNSW campus, getting to know the place and enrolling. This involved walking back and forth between buildings on the other end of campus from each other, multiple times. In the process, I got sun burnt! WOOPS!

That evening, I planned on going to a pancake event hosted by my accommodation. Unfortunately, I never actually managed to get to said event. At 4.30, I decided to have a little nap as I was very very tired - and wake up in time to go the event. However, I woke up at 9, having missed the event, and decided to go to bed properly. Woke up at 5 in the morning today - which, as you all know, is very unlike me! I am obviously jet-lagged!

Having not eaten since the previous lunchtime when I only had a croissant, I was bloody starving. First mission of the day - find food! I walked up to the "centre" of one of the local suburbs, Randwick, and found a supermarket where I did a bit of shopping, and remembered to buy some much needed suncream and aftersun. This was at about 8am and it was already 23C! It's now 3pm and 29C - I am not used to this heat at all! This arvo, I went to the Climate Change Research Centre, where I am to be based for the next 3 years. Sorted out a load of paperwork so I start getting paid, and met my boss. He is a really nice guy - luckily we didn't discuss "the science" - this we have scheduled for next Monday, giving me a bit of time to read up on what I want to research etc. He even mentioned a trip to Antarctica....here's hoping!


I will stop rambling now.
Love to you all! x


Pics: 1) The UNSW Village where I am staying - view from outside front balcony, 2) UNSW Village again - this time looking slightly to the right towards Sydney CBD, 3) My kitchen, 4) The view from outside the apartment entrance, overlooking Sydney CBD and Randwick Race course





2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had a good start! Missing you too much G! What are your flatmates like? How many people do you share with?

    xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bloody brilliant. The apartment looks well swish! More photos of that please! xxx

    ReplyDelete