Friday 28 January 2011

Antarctic Voyage - 28/01/2011[Sec=Unclassified]

I think I'm not even going to bother mentioning the weather today;
I'm sure you can all guess so I won't waste my breath!!

We reached the most southerly point of the voyage this morning during
our transect south, just east of the site of the former Mertz Glacier
tongue, with the approximate location of 67 41.007S 147 51.124W. And
so ended my last opportunity to catch a glimpse of the coast; it
wasn't really an opportunity as firstly, we were still 30 nautical
miles from the coast, and secondly, it was foggy. Still, following
this, we turned around, and headed north, away from the continent,
and away from the place I desperately seek to set foot upon. Maybe
next time eh...?

We are now heading back north, up the sea ice edge, and doing
transects east to west at three latitudes. Due to this skirting of
the ice boundary, rather than delving into the thick of it, I don't
think I will see much more ice for the rest of the trip. There will
definitely be no more situations with ice all around me, probably
just the occasional floe, and the odd iceberg here and there; such a
depressing thought really...but at least I will see more ice in NZ
when I do the glacier walk!

I'm sure you will all be pleased that my presentation is now finished
(well, near enough anyway) so that's one weight off my mind. Just a
3000 word report left to do now on the 6 day steam home - joyous!

I have also been told that videos of the reports the ABC presenters
have been sending back to Australia are available on the blog I
mentioned in a much earlier post. I'm not sure if this is the case,
but videos are available somewhere. There will also be longer clips
airing a few weeks after we get back, so I will let you all know
where you can find these.

Current Latitude: -66.9171 (still heading north)
Current Longitude: 146.4488
Current Air Temperature: 0C (wind chill of -7.5C - it was pretty much
raining earlier, or at least snowing very wet and crappy snow -
DISLIKE)
Current Ocean Temperature: -1.11C

Wildlife: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
Seasickness: None

___________________________________________________________________________

Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232 3209 and
DELETE the message.
Visit our web site at http://www.antarctica.gov.au/
___________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment