Monday 24 January 2011

Antarctic Voyage - 24/01/2011[Sec=Unclassified]

Basically another day off for me!!

All the moorings have finally been deployed, after a small problem
earlier this morning. After deploying the mooring, the gyro (not
really sure what this is), had to be retrieved after it was released
from the mooring itself. Fixed with a GPS, we knew exactly where the
gyro was, but it must have been stuck under some ice or something.
Only one way to get at it...knock the ice out of the way with the
ship. This was pretty exciting as it meant I got a closer look at the
ice (it was literally pressed against the ship), and also led to some
interesting loud crashing and banging.

Having nothing else to do, I went to the gym for the second day in a
row, which I thought was pretty good. It actually feels nice to do
some exercise, especially as I can feel myself putting the weight I
lost back on.

With more free time, comes more time spent on the bridge and outside.
On the way to the site of the third, and final, mooring, we went
through a region of quite a lot of ice, which made for fantastic
views. Unfortunately the weather is still overcast, otherwise the
scenery would have been immense. This outdoor time also equates to
more wildlife seen, and today I was treated!

Firstly I saw some crab-eating seals, which I am told are pretty
common. I was still very excited as it meant that I have seen
Antarctic seal species...more was to come! As everyone was eating
lunch, an announcement was made that a Leopard seal was located off
the starboard bowl; everyone ditched their lunch, grabbed their
cameras, and made their way outside to spot the seal in question.
Once on deck, I realised that my camera didn't have the zoom lens on,
so I didn't get any closer ups, but I got a few snaps and that's all
that matters. Just behind the seal was a penguin, frantically
flapping it wings (are they called wings?) - I'm not sure if this was
a way to draw attention away from the seal, or a plea for help, as
leopard seals do eat penguins!

The wildlife viewing wasn't over. Staying on the bridge, everyone was
on the lookout for anything, and everything. We didn't have to wait
long until someone spotted something in the distance. As we drew
closer, we realised that it was an emperor penguin, one species that
I was hoping to see! It was sitting on the ice accompanied by three
giant petrels, and was not scared of the ship, more than can be said
about the Adelies. Not five minutes later, we were graced with the
presence of a Ross Seal, a much rarer species. AMAZING!

I should probably stop rambling about the wildlife, but after
expecting to see a lot, and having not seen much, I was (and still
am), very excited to have seen these typical Antarctic species.

I also have to make a correction to a previous post. I have recently
learnt that the Antarctic Circle is actually at 66.67S, not at the
60S that I previously thought (I'm not sure if there are varying
definitions...), so it turns out that I haven't crossed it...yet!
Tomorrow, we head to the Mertz proper (crossing the Antarctic
Circle), heading between iceberg B9B and the Mertz Glacier; B9B was
the iceberg that knocked off the Mertz glacier tongue a few years
back, which has subsquently changed the region dramatically (hence
why I am sitting here now). I'm not sure how far we will get between
the two (B9B is something like 120km long after all, and there is
thick sea ice between them), but it will probably be the closest that
I will get to the Antarctic coast. I also learnt today that we were
basically at the magnetic South Pole which I think is pretty cool...I
will be sure to keep you posted on the progress, and also try and
tell you all a bit more about the science going on onboard.

Not much else to report...I did injure my already injured hand
yesterday. Actually, Adam injured it for me by dropping some metal on
it as we were changing a gas cylinder.

Current Latitude: -66.3777 (we have been moving all over the shop
these past few days, what with bathymetry, moorings, CTDs etc)
Current Longitude: 143.5543
Current Air Temp: -0.9 (practically tropical! Wind chill of -9.6C)
Current Ocean Temp: -1.06C

Wildlife seen: Crab-eating seals, Leopard Seal, Ross Seal, Emperor
Penguin and Snow petrel
Sea sickness: None!

Also, some of you appear to not be getting my e-mails. If you think I
haven't replied, I most definitely have.

___________________________________________________________________________

Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232 3209 and
DELETE the message.
Visit our web site at http://www.antarctica.gov.au/
___________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment