Tuesday 11 January 2011

Antarctic Voyage - 11/01/2011[Sec=Unclassified]

Hey guys,

You will all be glad to know that I had a good nights sleep last
night so today was a much better day. I also realised that it may be
the sea sickness tablets that were making me sleepy so I decided to
wean myself of them and hope for the best.

After sending the e-mail to post yesterdays blog, I also realised
that I did forget to tell you something exciting from that day...well
it's not that exciting but I will tell you anyway. Me being me, I
went and broke the first thing of the trip; now if this was a normal
sample bottle that would have been fine, but no, I had to go and
break a $350 cell (a small vile) that we use to do the pH analyses -
GREAT! I felt pretty bad, but luckily the boss was absolutely fine
with it and was actually surprised that it had taken a week for a
breakage to occur. As they say, shit happens.

As I said, today has been a pretty good day. Spirits were high
amongst the night crew on the one week anniversary of our departure.
Adam (the guy I do nights with in our lab) and I, decided to learn
some French from an audio book he has whilst we did the pH testing.
This led us to make a few mistakes (not bad mistakes you will be
pleased to know) whilst we did the pH testing as we ended up laughing
so much; looking back, there probably wasn't really a reason it was
so funny - perhaps we have gone a bit crazy.

I seem to have also gotten into a bit of a routine which is great. As
with every other day, I go up to the heli-deck after my shift to take
in the scenery and get some fresh air. Today, I was surprisingly
greeted by glorious sunshine once more; I say surprisingly as it had
been cloudy every other time I had been out. Standard reading in the
sun and photo taking of albatross (I probably have about 50 or so
photos of these now, I am happy with 1) followed.

Current lat: -52.6683
Current lon: 142.3888
Current air temp: 6.1C (this morning, it was about -2C with wind
chill - the first sub zero temps of the voyage)
Current ocean temp: 5.8C - a sudden dip in temps

Sea sickness: none (even without the tablets!)
Wildlife seen: More albatross and some other small black birds (I
will attempt to find out what they are)

___________________________________________________________________________

Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232 3209 and
DELETE the message.
Visit our web site at http://www.antarctica.gov.au/
___________________________________________________________________________

1 comment: