Friday 14 January 2011

Antarctic Voyage - 14/01/2011[Sec=Unclassified]

Hey,

Today was tough.

I woke up to plenty of creaking in my room due to the ship rolling
all over the place. It felt as if I was moving 90 degrees in each
direction - an exaggeration of course, but it was pretty bad. The
situation did not get better during the start of my shift with the
pitching/rolling being the worst that we have experienced so far on
the voyage. It just so happens that this coincides with the time that
I decided to wean myself completely off the sea-sickness tablets - I
very bad decision, and one which was quickly corrected following a
bout of feeling (and looking) like shit. At one point I actually
thought I was going to be sick, and had to quickly lie down on the
floor to try and control the situation (I was told that laying down
helps overcome feeling rough). After a while spent on the cold and
dirty lab floor, I actually fell asleep and had a lovely little nap -
GOOD TIMES! I felt much better when I awoke, and for the past few
hours, the ocean has essentially been as flat as a pancake.

The lab-floor nap was probably the highlight of the day, with nothing
else interesting to tell you. I did start doing some of my own work
after an e-mail telling me the dates of my PhD confirmation; let's
just say I don't have much time...

Current Latitude: -58.4217
Current Longitude: 139.8148
Current Air Temp: 3C (-3.6 with wind chill)
Current Ocean Temp: 3.3C

Sea sickness: a very rough start, but feel fine now.

The wildlife remains allusive!

___________________________________________________________________________

Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232 3209 and
DELETE the message.
Visit our web site at http://www.antarctica.gov.au/
___________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment