Monday 10 January 2011

Antarctic Voyage - 09/10 January[Sec=Unclassified]

Hey everyone,

Nothing really exciting to report. As I mentioned before, the CTD is
working fine now so we have been busy collecting samples and doing
the same old stuff.

Yesterday was a beautiful weather day. As there was not a cloud in
the sky, I was able to watch the sun rise over the Southern Ocean
with albatross flying everywhere; an amazing sight. The nice weather
continued for most of the day, so following my shift, I once again
went and sunbathed (obviously with warm clothes on). This was quite
exciting as we experienced 3m swells, and as I was sat on a garden
chair, it starting sliding back and forth, making it pretty difficult
to read; I later opted for sitting on the deck. I kept this up until
sleep called me.

I'm still finding it difficult to sleep and consquently I remain
absolutely shattered. I have also fairly frequently been told that I
look like shit, so clearly this tired look is not working for me. I'm
really hoping that I get into the rhythym of things soon, otherwise I
may have to request some sleeping pills from the doc....

Nothing really to report from today - weather was fairly average.

Current lat: -50.906
Current lon: 143.266
Current air temp: 10C - much colder when wind chill included
Current ocean temp: 8.99

Sea Sickness: none to report - I'm still taking the drugs...
Wildlife seen: Many albatross and a few other seabird - apparently a
killer whale was seen, not by me...

Oh, I should also mention that an ABC reporter is onboard and has
been sending reports back to the mainland, and has also been
blogging/tweeting. Not sure where this info can be found, but her
name is Karen Barlow so if you google that with Aurora Australis, you
may come up with something.

Over and out.

___________________________________________________________________________

Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232 3209 and
DELETE the message.
Visit our web site at http://www.antarctica.gov.au/
___________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment