Monday 17 January 2011

Antarctic Voyage - 17/01/2011[Sec=Unclassified]

Yet another glorious clear-weather day here in Southern Hemisphere
polar paradise, which made for the second three hour sunset in a row.
There is something quite magical about waking up and seeing
sunset/sunrise surrounded by silhouetted icebergs, I simply cannot
describe the feeling it evokes.

The number and concentration of icebergs is increasing hour upon hour
which means I have ended up with tens (probably closer to hundreds)
of pictures of many different icebergs. I hate to think what I will
be like when we reach the coast and are surrounded by icebergs. The
number of icebergs seems to correlate well with the amount of time I
spend outside; today I would guess at least 5 hours were spent out in
the sunshine in total, much to the upset of Matlab which calls to me
to complete my work....My favourite 'berg of the day was a pretty big
slab with one arch cut all the through in one half, and another arch
cut half way through on the other. Unfortunately this was a fair
distance away, but hopefully I will see more with similar features
soon enough.

I was also lucky enough to see a whale today, even if only for a
brief moment. Following the end of my shift, I went outside to absorb
the wonders of the Southern Ocean, scanning for whales. When I was
just about to give up, an announcement came on the tannoy that a
whale was on the starboard side of the ship. Not knowing which bloody
side starboard was, I guessed the right which proved to be correct,
and I was greeted by a whale for a second before both it, and the
ship quickly moved along.

I would also like to make a correction to yesterdays post about the
"sexton" - turns out it is actually a SEXTANT...my bad!

Current Latitude: -64.8095S
Current Longitude: 139.985
Current Air Temperature: -0.2 (-5.8C with wind chill). I should not
that I take these at the time of writing, which is usually 2-3pm. The
temperatures are usually much colder during my shift, that I can
assure you of!
Current Ocean Temperature: 0.64C

Wildlife: Whale (singular)
Sea Sickness: The ocean remains extremely calm

___________________________________________________________________________

Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232 3209 and
DELETE the message.
Visit our web site at http://www.antarctica.gov.au/
___________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment