Monday 6 September 2010

GOOOOO SWANS!

Bonjour!

Yesterday I went and watched some Aussie Rules (Australian football - similar to Gaelic football apparently) at Sydney Olympic Park. Having never seen it before, I was very excited (yes, I was excited about sport), and the fact that it was a qualifying game (a quarter final I think), made it even more exciting. The match was between Sydney Swans and Carlton, a team from Victoria. Since the game was in Sydney, the support for the Swans was huge - basically everyone in the stadium was wearing red and white (the Swans colours), so I felt a bit out of place. Once the game started, however, I was well into it and fitted right it! I was cheering and generally going crazy - it was awesome! I don't think I have ever been so into a sport before. The actual game of Aussie Rules is strange but very amusing; lots of punching and violence in general!




The swans were winning until half time, and then Carlton game back in the 3rd quarter and overtook the Swans - at this point I was not happy as it seemed like we (yes, we!) were going to lose. But.......just toward the end of the final quarter, the swans came back and scored another goal - my goodness, I, along with the entire stadium, went absolutely mental! Then two minutes later, we scored again and then game over! WE WON! The final score was 99 to 94 so the Swans won their way to the semi final. You can see the highlights here. All in all, I had a bloody fantastic time and I will definitely go back and watch it again, maybe even on the TV! Geez Australia is changing me....watching sport, trying sushi, whatever next...

No comments:

Post a Comment