Saturday 7 January 2012

Antarctic Voyage 2012 - 07/01/2012 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Day two of my second voyage south, and I'm feeling much, much better!
I have to admit, I did feel incredibly rough yesterday so it's a
wonder I didn't actually puke (the same can't be said for everyone!).
The ocean has calmed down a fair amount today, with swells of ~2m
which I am very thankful for. The sitrep described these 2m swells as
"nice", and I definitely agree.

My main achievement of the day is finally completing the revisions
for my manuscript. I have bitched and moaned about this to many of
you, so I'm sure you will all be glad of that news. Hopefully this
will be the end of the dreaded manuscript (and my whinging about it)
- I will keep you all posted in the that regard, but for now, I'm
giving myself a pre-emptive pat on the back (Thanks Laura for your
help too!).

Other than that, ship life hasn't been that eventful yet. In contrast
to last years voyage, we are heading straight down to Antarctica
rather than sampling continuously on the way. Fortunately, this means
that we all get to ease ourselves into sampling mode rather than
effectively being chucked in the deep end (if actually thrown in the
deep end, I would most definitely drown). A test CTD is scheduled for
tomorrow, so I'm sure scores of memories will come flooding back as
soon as I "milk" my first niskin. I'm still undecided whether these
are fond memories or not, but I do know it will be nice to have
something to do. I already know that I will regret saying that - once
the proper sampling starts, I will undoubtedly savour every moment
out of the CTD room.

I bore witness to a beautiful Southern Ocean sunset this evening. I
have to say, there is nothing better than being stood on the helideck
watching the sun slowly set with amazing yellow, gold, orange, red
and pink colours over a seemingly never ending ocean with Wandering
Albatross circling overhead, breathing in some of the purest air on
Earth. For that reason (along with no sea sickness and the paper
being complete), today has been a good day. Here's to a few more of
them as we trundle towards the ice...

___________________________________________________________________________

Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232 3209 and
DELETE the message.
Visit our web site at http://www.antarctica.gov.au/
___________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment