Friday 6 January 2012

Antarctic Voyage 2012 - 06/01/2012 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Day one into the voyage and I am not feeling great. In fact, I fear
this may be a short post because staring at the computer screen makes
me feel nauseous.

It has definitely been a hard first day on the ship. After a bad
nights sleep, I got up, and immediately had to lie down again from
fear of being sick. This basically continued until lunch time, when I
bravely ventured down to the mess for some food. Upon seeing the
food, I realised this was not a wise move, and very cautiously ate a
piece of bread and cucumber over an hour or so. Luckily I managed to
keep the food down and actually perked up over the rest of the
afternoon to the early evening. Hopefully the seasickness will get
better, but upon reading the weather forecast, I fear things may get
worse before they get better.

I'm not going to be all depressing in my first post though. It is
great being back on the ship and seeing many familiar faces - in
fact, it feels like I've flashed back to last years VMS voyage. Plus,
wandering around on heli-deck in the sunshine with wandering
albatross flying overhead really isn't something I can complain too
much about. The voyage is also set to be pretty exciting, with lots
of activities going on in celebration of Mawsons expedition to
Antarctica 100 years ago. For this reason, we have Karen Barlow, the
ABC presenter, onboard again so be sure to check out her blog. I'm
not sure exactly where it is, but googling Karen Barlow - aurora
australis - antarctica will be sure to come up with something.

I'm going to have to end there. I was hoping to give a good
introduction to the voyage here, but considering that it's taken me
forever to write this e-mail due to all the lie-downs I have needed
between sentences, I think it's better to wait for another day. Be
sure to keep checking the blog, I will be updating as regularly as
possible.

___________________________________________________________________________

Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232 3209 and
DELETE the message.
Visit our web site at http://www.antarctica.gov.au/
___________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment