Tuesday 15 February 2011

New Zealand Adventures – Fox Glacier and Driving South (14/02/2011)

I’m sure you will all be happy to know that the rain finally stopped, and the cloud even cleared! This was all timed perfectly for when we left Franz Josef (obviously!), but we decided to check out the nearby Fox Glacier, located 20km or so further south than Franz Josef, still within “Glacier Country”. So as I mentioned, the cloud lifted just as we rounded the last corner to Fox, giving some pretty damn impressive views! At this point, we decided to stop at the side of the road, take a few photos, and then head closer to Fox. It was at this point that I took my camera out for the first time since yesterdays downpour, and man was I in for a surprise...my lens has masses of condensation built up on the inside, which clearly makes photo-taking impossible. I was really really pissed off about this (quite justifiably so I think) as a) this usually means the lens is f****d, b) that it would subsequently cost me more money, and c) I couldn’t take any photos. Luckily, after much stressing, the lens did eventually dry out, and is now fine...I’m sure you are all very relieved to hear this. After getting back in the car from our quick stop, I instantly realised that a swarm of sand flies had entered the car which led me to freak out slightly as they proceeded to attack me (I have the bite marks as evidence of this attack)! Not a good start to the day.

We took a quick walk up to the glacier terminus, and Laura snapped away at her camera (mine was still broken at this point, although I did attempt to use my telephoto lens; not the easiest when taking landscape shots!). After our lovely jaunt to the glacier, we headed back to the car and prepared ourselves for a long drive ahead. We were heading another 550-600km further south to Te Anau, through much more windy roads. As on the drive a few days previously, the weather turned out to be pretty good, which gave even more great views as we crossed the Southern Alps, and made our way next to the Tasman Sea. I won’t bore you with details of the drive, but about 8-9 hours later, we arrived at Te Anau – I was absolutely shattered, having driven 1200km in basically two days. EUGH! Luckily, the views of mountains just over a lake which sits straight in front of our accommodation, more than made up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment