Friday 25 February 2011

Back in Oz!

It's nearly been an entire week since I arrived back in Sydney, which considering the earthquake in Christchurch which struck two days after we left there, I'm pretty thankful about!

After a nice relaxing holiday (well it wasn't really relaxing, it was pretty hectic), people usually need a day or two to ease themselves back into the daily grind of life. I was not so lucky, and was immediately thrown in the deep end for my PhD confirmation...but not before I was struck by some mystery bug which nearly caused me to puke in my supervisors office (luckily I managed to run to the bathroom in time)!

As I have now been an official PhD student for an entire year (how scary is that!), the time had come for me to essentially defend my work, show that it is useful, and tell everyone what I will be doing next. This consists of a presentation and a dreaded meeting with my committee afterward when they grill you about your work...in general, it went absolutely fine, but I was picked up on my lack of statistics knowledge. Damn maths continues to ruin my life! Well anyway, I'm sure that you will all be pleased to know that I passed, and am somehow allowed to continue with my PhD. I suppose passing was for the best - if I failed I would be chucked out of Australia....

I realise that I haven't posted any photos to my blog FOREVER! Here are just a few from NZ to wet your appetite...




No comments:

Post a Comment