Saturday 5 February 2011

Antarctic Voyage - the final blog!

Well guys, the end is nigh. This is the last blog post that I will be
sending from the Aurora Australis, as in 9 hours time (or in 90nm),
we will be back in Hobart.

The past few days have been fairly action packed, with people busy
packing up the labs, cleaning bunks, and generally readying
themselves for life back on firm land. Everyone seems to have reached
the point when they will be happy to be back home, and I am one of
those people. Don't get me wrong, I have had an absolutely fantastic
time, and in addition to learning a lot, I have got to experience how
oceanographic data is actually collected, and made some good friends
along the way - I couldn't really have asked for more. Nevertheless,
I am waiting in anticipation for getting back (even if it just for a
day before I jet off to NZ), we are so close that I can practically
smell land!

For our last night on the ship, we saw the first sunset in god knows
how long. The clouds parted slightly, making way for the golden sun
to shine down on us, and cast beautiful colours on the surrounding
skies, with albatross flying around.

I should also mention that I won one category in the Aurora Australis
Photo Competition! I submitted a few, not actually expecting to win
at all, but it was announced earlier that my photo of a rope with
lots of icicles hanging off it, won in the category "ship and
science". I'm actually quite proud, and even got a certificate for my
efforts.

Well, there you have it. I hope you've enjoyed my ramblings from my
journey south - prepare yourself for round 3 detailing my travels in
NZ!

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment