Friday 18 February 2011

New Zealand Adventures – Driving North and Queenstown (17/02/2011)

We awoke early to say goodbye to Te Anau, and make our way back north to Omarama, with a quick stop in Queenstown. Once again, we were gifted with marvellous weather which made the drive even better due to the fantastic views we were afforded. As I mentioned, we had a quick stop in Queenstown, the adventure capital of south island where crazy people go sky-diving, bungee jumping, and paragliding – I was not one of the those people, firstly due to the fact that we had only 4 hours to spare, and secondly because I’m a big wuss! Instead, Laura and I decided to be old farts and check out the botanical gardens (well I’m not sure if they are botanical gardens but they are gardens nonetheless; in the process, we stopped to take some photos of drift-wood, and received some very strange looks from passers by – clearly they just don’t understand art! I did, however, get a pretty cool photo of a lily which I’m rather proud of....

As our time came to an end in Queenstown, I grabbed a quick ice-cream (it’s not a proper holiday unless you have an ice-cream everyday right?), and we were off again, heading further north to Omarama. Now Omarama is an interesting little place, and I mean very little. According to our Lonely Planet guide, it has a population of 350 people; I think it’s considerably less than that as there are literally 20 houses – perhaps the tourists also count as the local population? I think it’s a sheep farming town, famous for its Merino wool, so there is nothing going on whatsoever.

I should also mention that my bad luck with my camera continues...this time two of my filters have gotten wedged together without any means to separate them! Any suggestions as to how to separate these will be most welcome...otherwise I’m going to have to fork out $100 for a new polariser and UV filter. I think my camera may be cursed...

No comments:

Post a Comment