Saturday 25 December 2010

Day Six - Returning back to Hobart

Merry Christmas everyone! On this most festive of days, I realise how
much I miss you all! Christmas spent by yourself is not certainly not
much fun but nevertheless I have tried to remain positive.

As has become custom for my time in Tassy, I awoke early and enjoyed
breakfast with the smell of log fire and pine in the air - it was
delightful. Today was my last day spent in luxury and I was a little
sadenned to pack all my things and leave the wilderness retreat of
Lemonthyme Lodge. Before departing, I took one last stroll to the
nearby no name falls; I was actually a little dissapointed with the
waterfalls themselves but the rest of the walk was nice - lots of
interesting biology, including some massive fungi. Side note - I was
today scared by both an echidna and a wallaby! I still remain in awe
if the diversity that Tasmania has to offer in terms of it's nature -
and it is so quiet in comparison to other places I have visited. A
perfect piece of paradise - I think that Tasmania may actually be my
favourite place that I have visited, perhaps even beating Norway,
which is saying something...

Walk over, I said goodbye to Cradle Mountain National Park and the
Central Tasmanian Highlands as a whole, and started the long, yet not
so arduous, journey back to Hobart. On my way "north" I took the
longer more scenic route. On the way back, I decided to take the
shorter route that covers the old route from Hobart to Launceston,
taking in some lovely historic quant towns (well, historic by modern
australian standards). The first stop was Ross, one of the oldest
towns in Australia, and conveniently located midway between Hobart and
Launceston. There isn't really much to the town, but it's made
"famous" by it's bridge, constructed in 1836, and it's other old
buildings.

Next stop on the Heritage Way was Oatlands, which developed on the
shores of Lake Dulverton, and again spans back to the 1830s. Made
picturesque by an old mill, this little place has lots to offer, it's
just a shame that all the shops etc were closed being Christmas day
and all.

So there you have it, that's the end of the first stage of my
Tasmanian adventure. I am now back in Hobart, and will remain here
until I Head south. I plan on going on a few day adventures whilst I
can, so keep checking for updates.

Merry Christmas once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment