Sunday 26 December 2010

Day Six - Exploring Hobart

Firstly, I think I titled yesterdays post as day six - that was
actually wrong, and today is day six. I have to say, it feels like I
have been here much longer than 6 days, but still 8 to go before the
Antarctic departure.

I'm sure you are all dying to know what I have been up to today, so
here goes. Having little to actually do except return my car (which
meant another early start) I didn't actually do much. Having eaten
barely anything on Christmas day (cereal, a sandwich and a cereal bar
all day definitely does not constitute a good Christmas dinner), my
first item on the agenda was to find some food as I was bloody
starving marvin! Thankfully many places were open today so I headed
into a bakery and enjoyed an excellent breakfast of an apple danish
and a hot chocolate.

With my belly full at last, I headed off to do a walking tour around
Hobart, taking in all the main sites. Having become used to seeing
barely any people all day, it was actually a bit of a shock to have so
many people around me - the fact that there were two massive cruise
ships docked, and all the boxing day sales on, certainly didn't help.
I took in all the historic sites of Hobart, enjoying the many
sandstone buildings that are so typical of colonial Hobart. After
stopping for some lunch, I explored Battery Point, Hobarts oldest
neighbourhood which is home to many quaint little cottages. I even
walked up the street where the red lights burned night and day...

On the way home, I stopped off at the shops to see if I could get
myself a bargain, and a bargain I did find. Even though I bought
myself some hiking shoes just before leaving for Hobart, I treated
myself to some sexy walking boots which were 50% off - BARGAIN! At
least I now have a choice to wear either shoes or boots....I later
tested these out when I explored Queens Domain, a large parkland area
on the northern side of Hobart, which also houses the Government House.

And that is it. Not a particularly action packed day, but it's nice to
have a more relaxed day and just mooch around.

No comments:

Post a Comment