Friday 21 May 2010

Fraser Island

Hey guys,

Well I completely forgot to blog about the final leg of my journey, Fraser Island. We payed to do a self drive tour - we basically got given a 4x4, got put in a group, given food and tents, and off we went. This was the past of the trip that I was most looking forward to, and the most expensive part of the holiday as well!

After gathering our crap, packing the jeep, we set off to catch a ferry thing (its not a ferry but I can't think of the name right now - a boat where the back and front fold down to act as a ramp!). After a short 5 minute trip, we arrived back on solid land, reaching Fraser Island - a world heritage site and the largest sand island in the world, complete with wild dingos, sharks, dolphins and turtles, a true desert island!

We were given an itinerary and pretty much had to stick to it - we could only drive on the beach at certain times of the day due to the tides - we did not want to get stuck, which FYI, we did not for the entire three days, pretty impressive non? I have to say, I bloody loved driving the jeep (although apparently others did not like my driving!) - it was really strange driving on the sand. In the deeper, soft sand, the car just kept swerving from side to side without even moving the steering wheel, but once on the harder sand it was fine! Zooming along the beach at 80kph, stopping to go through small gullies, visit secluded lakes, avoid dingos etc, what more could you want?

We camped both nights whilst we were there, which, to be honest, was pretty uncomfortable. We were told we didn't really need roll mats which meant that we got cold, and hand nothing soft to lie on. It also didn't help that it is winter and does actually get cold at night (we could see out breath!). But we survived (just about), and had good laughs along the way - one memorable moment was when Kerry told me not to turn the light on because she didn't want me to see her like this...so obviously I turned the torch on, to find her wearing every single item of clothing, tops tied around her feet, and the drawstring on her hoody pulled tight around her face to leave only her eyes, nose and mouth - she had the biggest grin on her face and we both burst out laughing for a good 10 minutes! Oh, on this first night my camera decided to break - GREAT! So I only have pics from the first day, I was not happy! Enough of the ramblings - oh I did see a shark by the way, maybe 3 but we weren't sure whether some were dolphins.

Had an ace time though and met some fantastic people (13 of the 16 people in total were English!) and generally had a right laugh! I did develop the lurgy though which has stayed with me until today, a good 10 days on! Here are some pics:




















No comments:

Post a Comment