Monday 4 July 2011

A trip to the mine – 29th June 2011

Longyearbyen remains overcast, but temperatures have risen somewhat due to a drop in the wind. I remain hopeful that blue sky WILL return before I leave again...optimistically, this will be by Saturday in time for our “free afternoon”. The monotony of daily lectures was broken up today by the beginning of the student poster presentations; these are not normal posters, but A0-sized scientific posters summarizing ones work...just wanted to make that clear. When coupled with free alcohol, these poster sessions make for good discussion starters, and a nice way to find out what everyone is presently working on. Fortunately I didn’t get asked too many horrible questions...

Presentations over, a few of us students decided to go on an impromptu trip to the local mine up in Nybyen, mine 2a I believe. The abandoned mine (probably better to describe it as the mine buildings – I don’t think you can actually go underground) is located a couple hundred metres away from the student barracks, half way up the valley side, within easy reach for an evening wander and photo session. The mine is a pretty strange place, slightly dilapidated, but everywhere you see objects reminding you of the fairly recent mining activities that took place there, albeit rusty and/or ice covered. When I first visited Svalbard, I also visited this mine, and was made to walk on an unstable plank of wood with no hand-rail supports for probably 10m or so; needless to say I was pretty petrified, especially considering that if I fell, I would probably roll all the way down the slope back to the student barracks. This year, I conquered my fears and walked these planks of doom without thinking twice; in fact, I even stopped half way to snap some photos – photography is clearly a good incentive to conquer fears. It was nice to get out and about, I hope these evening activities continue!



No comments:

Post a Comment