Tuesday 29 June 2010

Perfect Shot...

Hei!

Well today I went for my second rifle training course in Svalbard to refresh those skills lost in the past year. Off I set to UNIS (the university) for a hafl 8 start, only to find that the range was over booked so we had to wait until 10 - an early start for nothing...We got to the rifle range, had a brief lecture about how to handle a polar bear attach, where to shoot etc, and then the fun began. It was basically the same format as last year - we shot 20 rounds in total; 8 in a lying position, 8 in a kneeling position, and 4 in a standing position. I was actually pretty impressed with my aim (especially laying down and kneeling) - most of my shots went within the centre black circle! Much improved from last year I believe...Unfortunately I have no pictures - there were only four of us and we were all shooting at once so nobody to take pictures for me.

This afternoon I had the pleasure of witnessing a seal dissection! It was actually pretty gross but very very interesting. We had a baby and an adult - they were both shot last week and kept in the freezer but we didn't get the adult out early enough so it was still pretty frozen! So the baby seal got the full blown treatment and slowly lost one organ at a time! The woman actually cut the penile bone off the adult male - now that was gross! I was going to put a picture up but having looked through them, they aren't very pleasant - so if you want to see one, just let me know and I will be happy to send you one.

Off to Kappe Linne tomorrow (another early start) so no new blogs for three days...how will you cope?

Hade!

No comments:

Post a Comment